BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Diversity?

After reading Wade Davis' article on his take on how certain cultures decline, while others just change and form into something different. I did not even think, before reading the article, how certain cultures are literally dying, while others take on a new form. Is this a good or bad thing? What if our culture, the United States, still lived as though it was the 1930's? We probably would not have the technology, yet we would not be such a sexually driven or open society either (as we can see from television, to billboards or even facebook photos). I feel as though it is vital for a culture to grow and develop with the times. Or else we would not be able to develop and live the way we are living now, or have our great great great grandchildren experience something even better!

Now, diversity and culture in my family is basically non-existent. I have a completely "white" family (composed of Irish, English, Scottish, German, Welsh French - yes, very white) and we are basically all republicans. Then, coming to a school in Philadelphia, where there is an obvious mix of heritages everywhere, it made me appreciate everyone and their different cultures. In my town, there are not any paintings on the side of buildings or underneath tunnels; whereas in Philly, it is hard not to spot art in that form. I love it - both my family/ town and Philadelphia. Both completely different, but beautiful.

0 comments: