BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Walter Murch's Afterwood

Mr. Murch's novel, In The Blink Of An Eye proved to be very helpful when creating films. I never thought of a movie to follow my eye-blinking, but after watching different movies, I realize this is idea is extremely important to make the video, movie or television show more of a reality.

In his afterword, the best way to sum up the section is when he explains:

So the queasy feeling in the pit of the stomach of every editor beginning a project is the recognition - conscious or not - of the immense number of choices he or she is facing. The numbers are so huge that there is no possibility of turning film editing into a kind of automated chess game, where all of the different options are evaluated before making a move.


I can only imagine how difficult, chaotic, and intense this must be. There are so many shots, and so much detail into every single second of every single movie. It must all make sense, create an awe from the audience, and keep the attention of everyone watching the film.

After reading Walter Murch's book, I have come to respect the editors of each film in a completely different way. I had no idea, that one of America's favorite past times - watching a movie - was so in-depth, intense, and time consuming. I tip my hat to you, film editor's of the world. I thoroughly enjoy your work.

0 comments: